If you run a successful blog then you may be thinking that it’s about time to set up a Facebook page which links to your blog. Social media is one of the best ways to reach out to more visitors and get them connecting with you and each other outside of your site.
It can be nerve wracking to set up a Facebook page, especially for those who want to keep their personal lives separate from their blog lives. Before you start anything, it is worth knowing that you can be signed into your own personal Facebook page when setting up a fan page. It won’t share any info that you don’t want it to share. It’s also worth noting that when setting up a page, make sure it’s a ‘fan page’ and not a regular page. This way people can simply ‘like’ your page and not have to add you as a friend. This will make people more likely to follow the page, and will save you the hassle of having to accept loads of friend requests.
Okay, so with that out of the way, let’s get started on how to actually set up a Facebook page.
- Go to http://www.facebook.com/pages/create.php. This is where you can start creating your own blog fan page.
- Once here, you’ll see a drop down menu in the upper right corner. It will be labeled ‘brand’ or ‘product’. In the drop down menu click on ‘website’.
- Once you have selected website, you can type your blog name under in the relevant box. Then you can agree to Facebook’s terms and conditions (reading them is up to you!).
Now you’re ready to get started on actually creating the page.
- You’ll be asked to provide some basic info for the page. Stuff like a site description, a URL link to the blog, and a URL for the Facebook page. Another thing is that you’ll be asked whether the page represents a brand or a product. If it does – great! If it doesn’t you can just click ‘no’ – you’ll still be able to create your page.
- Now you’ll be asked to upload a profile picture. If you have a logo, this is a good place to upload it. If you’re not quite ready for this yet, you can skip it and come back to it later.
- Pro tip – add this page to your favourites for easy access later!
Once on your page, you will see admin options across the top of the page which will give you the option to do various things to your fan page. The good thing about Facebook is that all the options are super easy to understand and Facebook will give you prompts to help you along the way.
As you can see above Facebook has a whole raft analytics you can look through to see how your page and the posts on it are doing. There is also a section on which posts on your page have done the best both in terms of reach and engagement and it's from information like that you are then able to figure out better what it is your audience wants from you.
Once you’ve set up your page exactly the way you want it then you should probably set up a couple of links to the page from the blog itself. Just a button at the top of your homepage should usually be enough, but if you want to dedicate an entire blog post to it then that’s up to you! Once your page is all set up and linked with your blog, then it’s a good way to share your posts or what you’re up to with more fans. Good luck and happy Facebooking!